Hraime (spicy fish, can be made not spicy)
A spicy fish, often served as an appetizer before a holiday or Shabbat meal.
|(Prepared by Malka Romano)|
- 3 tbs. oil
- 1-1/2 cups water
- juice of 1 lemon
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 5 garlic cloves, chopped fine
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin seed
- 2 to 3 tsp. hot red chili, seeded and chopped (optional)
- 1 pound red snapper, sea bass, halibut, or similar fish, filets
- lemon wedges
- Heat the oil at low temperature.
- Mix together 1/2 cup water, lemon juice, tomato paste, salt, the garlic, cumin seed and the
optional chili and add to the oil. Simmer over low heat for 10 minutes.
- Add the fish and the remaining water. Cover the pan and cook over low heat for 15 minutes.
Serve warm with lemon wedges.